Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pocket Fairies

From as far back as I can remember, I've always loved playing with dolls.  When I was little, my Nan would turn plastic margarine tubs into the most wonderful little doll bassinets, complete with tiny hand sewn pillows and blankets made from scraps of wool.  Back then, the tubs were rectangular in shape which was perfect for making into dolls' beds.  She would poke holes all around the top rim and then attach colourful little skirts which she'd crocheted to hide the outside of the container.  Oh what fun we had putting our little babies to sleep in them!!
 I had an idea of creating a teensy baby doll to fit inside a little tin.  Well, as the doll progressed, she had a bit of a mind of her own and she ended up becoming a tiny fairy instead.  And once she was made, she told me that she needed a little friend who could come for sleepovers.... 
  So, I made two tiny fairies, each just big enough to fit snuggly into an Altoids tin bed which I decorated with pretty papers.  Each wee bed contains an embroidered pillow and a colourful patched quilt which keep the fairies snug and warm on chilly nights.

 Don't they look cozy in their little beds??








I wanted to create a pretty little bed, reminiscent of the ones my Nan used to make, so I chose papers with tiny patterns and prints in soft colours to decorate each tin.














The pillows are embroidered with tiny lazy daisy flowers and the quilts are reversible - cute, tiny patches on one side and a solid colour on the other.





These tiny girls measure just over 3 inches tall and their dresses and wings are removable.  I've used a tiny press stud closure to connect their wings directly onto their backs, so they can easily be removed for dressing.  Their hair is made from Tussah Silk roving, so it can be gently styled or tied back with narrow ribbon.

The pattern for the little fairies will include instructions and pattern pieces to make the doll, her little dress and wings, the bedding and the templates needed for decorating the tin.  And it should be available soon!!

Wishing you a wonderful week :)
~Shelly xo

24 comments:

  1. These are so precious! I love them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! and the details are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! These are sooo cute! I've been making little take along playsets and a couple with your little mice. These are going to be so much fun to make! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly, these little girls are the most precious things - they really take me back to my childhood....I can't wait for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I just fainted. I looked at the fairies and then woke up on the floor with heart palpitations over the cuteness. SO SWEET! And perfect! My daughter is turning 9 in 16 days (she just informed me) and is having a high tea fairy party. Finger crossed for a pattern (and time to complete one :)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are just the sweetest little dolls, I love tiny things and their beds are tooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are very pretty.
    I wish I am a child:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with those two little girls. Your story about the cribs your Nan made, brings back memories to me. My granmother did exactly the same. She also cut one plastic butter tin in half to use as a 'cover'. I wonder if I still have it, but I'm not allowed to look for it in the attick. I have to do my chores first ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have gold in your fingers and poetry in your head .
    All you do is just gorgeous, i do love your creations !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These dolls are so cute! I can't wait for the pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These little fair beds are so precious. I can remember making bed out of match boxes and having teeny weeny little dolls to fit them. You must have had a beautiful Gran.
    Hugs Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. These little fair beds are so precious. I can remember making bed out of match boxes and having teeny weeny little dolls to fit them. You must have had a beautiful Gran.
    Hugs Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. hallo, shella,i follow you for a whyle and also on etsy. i was supprised to see that there are people who resale dolls made after your patterns. doyou not mind that?

    with kindregads esther

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dios mio que blog tán tierno..
    Las muñequitas con esas diminutas camitas son una belleza,,me encanta!!!

    Gracias por compartir tanta creatividad

    Besitos mi niña

    ReplyDelete
  15. Este año como cada año, nuestro tren parara en alguna estación, depende de cada uno de nosotros dejar ir a la tristezas, miedos, frustraciones, malos momentos, desamor. Agradece a cada uno de ellos.. su compañía y sus enseñanzas, aunque hayan sido dolorosas, déjalos ir, déjalos bajar de este tren. Deseo que en esta parada, a tu tren suban miles de bendiciones, sueños alcanzables, amor, abundancia, fuerza y determinación para seguir tu viaje.
    Hoy en mi vagón quedaran puestos desocupados y espero te sientes a mi lado para compartir junt@s este nuevo viaje. FELIZ NUEVO COMIENZO EN ESTE AÑO 2015!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enchanting! I love small and sweet, and the tiny quilted blankets :-)

    Warmly,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these dainty darlings and their tiny beds. I am going to have to make one. :) Nancy G

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your little dolls. I'm going to purchase the pattern next month if I can as I'm a nursing student going back in Nivember, so I need to watch my budget lol. Anyway, I too live in Canada and I read on etsy about a yarn you used for the hair. Where do you purchase the yarn and the name of it please? Thank you

    Francine from Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Forgot to ask where do you buy the tins too? I saw where you buy the real fella so I'm ok there. Again thank you

    Francine

    ReplyDelete
  20. These little fair beds are so precious. I can remember making bed out of match boxes and having teeny weeny little dolls to fit them. You must have had a beautiful Gran.

    cheap bunk beds with stairs

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute idea making these cuties to fit in the tiny tin, love this kind of play!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I love reading what you have to say!